- Provost Lecture Series - Shereen Inayatulla
- Literacy Narratives in Composition
- What Provost Lecture Series English
- When Mar 18, 2013 from 04:00 PM to 06:00 PM (UTC / UTC0)
- Where AC-4M05
- Contact Name Holger Henke
- Contact Phone 718-262-5338
- Add event to calendar iCal
The Crisis and Craft of Literacy
This lecture examines a body of texts known as "literacy narratives," which are autobiographical stories that describe one’s process of acquiring literacy.
Literacy narratives by “minority” writers are frequently assigned in English Composition courses as a way to promote diverse and inclusive curricula, challenging students to reflect on their own acquisition of academic English.
This research explores the ways in which literacy narrative assignments are effective while also revealing how they can, in fact, uphold the tools of writing they mean to challenge or critique.